Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Week 11 Storytelling: The Olympic Journey

Chapter 1: The Beginning
Timothy was a young boy when he decided running was going to be his passion. He remembers being in little league and running around the bases and how freeing it felt. As soon as he entered middle school he joined the cross country and track team and he never looked back. Now he is a sophomore in college and training for the 2024 summer Olympic trials. Over the course of the years that has passed Timothy experienced extreme heart ache. His mother died of a heart attack 5 years back and his father has been a drunk since then. Because of the on going stress at home Timothy did not have time for friends and spent most of his days alone. On this particular day Timothy was sitting in his dorm window watching the rain beat down against the window. His father had no idea he was training for the Olympics. Every time he would try to speak to his father he would either pass out or dismiss him. He was alone or so he thought.
Image result for running kids
Kid Running

The next day came and went with a blur. Timothy was running on autopilot and even during training at the track he wasn't all there. His fellow teammate approached him and began taunting him, "What is the matter Timothy? Did your mommy not wake you up this morning." Timothy looked at Chandler who was taunting him and shrugged him off. He did not feel like putting up a fight today and looked out at the massive track and field that was in front of him. To his left was a set of bleachers and he stared for a moment of some of the parents who showed up to support their children. Timothy wished he had that same support. Sometimes he wondered why was he even going to the Olympics. No one would care that he was there.
Image result for mens track team college
Track Running

Chapter 2: Fresh Start
The next week came quickly and on this particular day was filled with bad news. Coach Mike brought everyone on the track team together for a team meeting to explain that assistant coach Mack was fired. That starting today there would be a new assistant coach named coach Belichick. After coach Mike was done speaking Belichick stood up and started speaking. Timothy could not help but drift into his own thoughts. He was up late last night having to help his father back into the house before he left to get back to his dorm. He sat on the grassy field with his legs crossed and rocking back and forth hoping that the speech would be done soon. Timothy's thoughts were interjected when he heard coach Belichick say his name and to meet him in his office after the team meeting is over. He was nervous now and was hoping he wasn't about to be kicked off the team for a particular reason.
Image result for track coach
Track Coach

About 10 minutes later the meeting was over and Timothy was on his way to Belichick's office. His palms were sweaty and he did not know what to think. Before he could think a second more he was standing in front of the wooden door that was the entrance to Belichick's office and knocked. He heard someone yell, " Come in!." Timothy opened the door and walked in. Timothy immediately spoke, " Hi. Uh. I am Timothy.' Belichick quickly responded, "I know who you are Timothy. You have beaten every record that has been set in the nation. You are ranked in the top 10 to place in the next summer Olympics. What I want to know is why haven't you gone yet." The coach took a few deep breaths as he was looking at some papers that were spread across his desk. Then he began speaking again, " I have talked to the head coach and he shared your unique situation and because I see such promise in you I want to train with you and help you get to the next Olympics." Timothy could not believe his ears. For the first time in his life someone has decided he is worth the time. He felt skeptical at first but before he ruined the moment he shook the coaches hand and did not look back.

Chapter 3: Four Years Later
Timothy lined up his feet on the track to give himself the best position to help jump start his run. He looked at the other young men next to him who seemed nervous and anxious. Today was the day and Timothy was ready to race. He looked to the stands and saw his coach standing there waiting to applaud his finish. He looked at the track beneath him and then the shot was fired. He began swooping his arms at his sides as fast as he could. He propelled his body forward until complete exhaustion. He was in 5th place, 4th place, and now third. He was rounding the turn of the track and kept running forward. The last stretch was upon him and the cheers grew louder and moments later he finished. Timothy placed in second for the Olympic trials and allowing him to be one of the men to advance to the Olympics. His heart was pounding and his heart felt full for the first time. He looked up in the sky and said, "This is for you mom."
Image result for USA Track and Field Trials
Olympic Trials

Author's Note:
I wrote my story based off of the Indian comic story, "The Boy Who Heard God." The comic is about a boy who heard God at a young age and grew a passion for the Lord. Everyone around him saw him as a untouchable within the society and so he was denied visiting the temple. Instead of Chokha letting that happened he became a temple himself by his reverence to God. My story is not about religion or about my character finding God but it is about him finding a part of himself. I left out a lot of detail for my character because I wanted my readers to be on the outside looking in. My character was closed off person because of his father and losing his mom but he loved to run and never stopped. He had his peers make fun of how he lost his mom and show extreme disrespect towards him. Instead of lashing back my character took the high road and continued to train. He is similar to Chokha because instead of Chokha not worshipping he still continued along the path. I wanted my character to have something he works hard for even with opposition at his door. The best way I felt I could represent this is by a sport. I grew around sports and I have not always been the best but I never let it stop me from doing something I love. The similar idea exists within my character. He never stopped loving to run and just needed one person to believe in him. Sometimes in life all you need is that one person to think the world of you to get you through life. Timothy had his coach. His coach saw he was more than what Timothy thought he was and because of that he was able to attend the Olympics in the end.

References:
Chokha Mela: The Boy Who Heard God

4 comments:

  1. Annie, I really enjoyed your story. It was great for me to read because I was a track and cross country runner, so I understood the story well. I was really bad at running though, unlike your character. I like how you related this story so well to the story of the Indian comic. I thought that these tied together well, and even though I did not read the Indian comic, I feel like I have a good sense of what all was in it. I really enjoyed this one. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,
    I really like this story! It not only brought out the elements of the story you read, but a personal perspective as well. It is amazing how you meshed your love for sports and an Indian fable together. The way you broke the story up, added images, and purposely made the details the way you did definitely made this story strong. The author's note brought it all together when you specified what happened in the original story, and what you did with yours. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,
    This story was really intriguing and kept my attention the entire time. I think it was really cool that you broke this single story into chapters to break up the chain of events. Very clever and effective! You did a wonderful job of telling the story from third person giving the reader the chance to see from the outside looking in as you intended. You did a great job of adapting this story from its original and putting your own spin on it. Awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this story. It was very creative and I loved reading the author's note. The description was well written and tied up all of the loose ends that I had hanging after reading the story. I was really curious as to why we didn't get much insight about Timothy's thoughts and how he was so nonchalant, but you clarified that information. I would love to reread the story if you were to add a section about him running at the Olympics. Great work!

    ReplyDelete