Monday, May 1, 2017

Portfolio Guide

1. The Lost Prophets - This story explores a more modern and altered version of Rama, Sita, King Sugriva, and Lakshmana. I wanted my story to be filled with realism and a somber ending to show the reality of how when there is one ending there is always a new beginning that will follow.

2. The Final Stand - This short story represents three important characters in the book version of R.K Narayan's "The Mahabharata." The Kauravas or the sons of Dhritarashtra, the Pandavas, and their wife Draupadi are the three main characters. My story is a spinoff of the original story with some added realism.
3. The Forgotten - This story is a remake of the comic book story, "She Gave Her Heart to Krishna." Mira, a princess, gives her heart to Lord Krishna and promised to only serve him. Her loyalty was tested when she marries a prince who tells her she cannot worship Lord Krishna. My narrative is about the similar struggles Mira is faced with but in a more modernized setting.
4.The World War that Changed Millions - This story was inspired by a comic book story called, "Chaitanya Mahaprabhu: The Miracle Messenger of Love." The story is about Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who showed a simple path to God when they were under place of strict Muslim rule. He showed that religion is a great way to safety. My story is a depiction of a World War Two and how many ran to a belief during that time as a way of seeking some type of refuge. Much like the comic book revealed is important to do in everyday life.


4 comments:

  1. Annie, I really like how you started the story with a strong setting. It was so easy to visualize what you were describing. The words that you use, including certain phrasings, really helped illustrate the sadness and realness of the story. I think that this will be a very interesting portfolio for you to build! Your use of pictures was a very nice touch as well. I really liked how you said “Some times in life there is no happy ending but there is just an ending.” It’s good that you’re focusing on realism! I really appreciated that you took the time to research heart surgery - that shows that you’ll take a lot of time on this project, and that it should be really great! I’ll be sure to keep checking in because this is so entertaining, and I would love to see where it goes. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed how you broke the story into chapters. You’ve done a great job setting the scene and the main character’s mood of that chapter for each one. The image used for chapter one has a great statement with it which I think is perfect. I think the animation of the gif begins to distract from your story though. When Stiles mentioned becoming an organ donor, I assumed I knew where you were taking the story, but I still choked up a little bit whenever Rodger is breaking it down to Malia. I think you did a great job on writing this so that the obvious was still a moment that was special. I was a bit confused in chapter 4 because the last sentence is in a different font color. Your author’s note is very helpful in explaining your dark version of Rama and your intention to provoke readers into imagining a version of a not-so-virtuous Rama. Thank you for an enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Lost Prophets for the first time
    I love that you were able to use a GIF in your story, had no idea that you could do that. I thought that this story was really glad and unique so I was happy to see that it was in your portfolio! It was definitely interesting how you broke your story down into four chapters. I loved the break-up of the story in this fashion and have not really see anyone else do that so far in these short stories.
    You did an excellent job at explaining the characters and their situation in your author’s note. Also the setting and tone is something that is familiar to modern text which helps a lot of us be able to relate to it. I would be interested to see if this story continues and would love to read more of it. I think you should try to keep this theme going in your portfolio because it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Anna! I've come from Myth-Folklore to view some Portfolios in this course and yours stuck out to me. I chose to read The Forgotten, as that name itself is intriguing. Firstly, I love that you used pictures of modern-day actors and TV shows. I love Bradley Cooper, Colton Haynes and Dylan O'brien and Holland Roden (Lydia & Styles), that's just awesome!
    Focusing on the story, when reading your Author's Note, I love your meaning behind the story and though I didn't read the original, I believe you did a great job representing staying true to someone and oneself. It was a sad beginning, I must say. Though you ended it in a positive note to prove opposite of the original, I was actually quite surprised and was expecting a more tragic and caving ending. That's the beauty of your story though, it caught me off guard and you stayed true to how you wanted the story conveyed. I really enjoyed your take and will hopefully come back and read more in the future!

    ReplyDelete