Sunday, February 12, 2017

Feedback Focus

Doing this assignment helped me see a lot of different techniques when learning how to truly comprehend something I read. I really enjoyed the reading out loud technique. I feel like I am able to understand more when I can hear the text in my ears. It is easier to see mistakes or to see how a writer wants their story portrayed. Also another reason I like the reading out loud technique is because you can sense the pacing of the story. If the story is meant to be a thriller than the pace should be fast and exciting.

Secondly, when I tried the copy-and-delete strategy I realized how helpful it was. Reading a chunk of material and then reflecting on what was read helped me see parts of the story that I would not have otherwise. It is very easy to forget what you are reading when the story is complex and the notes help close that gap. Although because it is time consuming I did not choose this as my number one technique that I will use consistently in the future.

The timer strategy was not my preferred method because I do not like the sense of being rushed. I would not say I am a slow reader but I feel like knowing there is a timer going makes me feel rushed. Instead of focusing on the content in front of me I start to focus and wonder about the timer ticking away. The general idea about the method is good, but some strategies that work well for some do not for others. The importance is finding a strategy that works well for you and use it. In my case the timer strategy was not the best but does not mean it will not work for someone else.



No comments:

Post a Comment