Thursday, April 27, 2017

Storytelling Week 14: The Unlikely Hero

The Comic Book

The Comic Book
"Grandma, Look what I got!" As Billy said running towards his grandmother. She was now residing in a nursing home in the sunny state of Florida. She used to be more lively but age as brought more turmoil on her body. Things in her life used to be vastly different and it made her sad that her time on Earth was nearly over. She sat mainly in a wheelchair cause her body was too frail now to move much. She spent many years being active as she can be and now she knew that time has caught up with her. Billy brought to her a comic book. He was so excited because it was one of the first editions. It was called Hawkman and Hawkgirl. In this time period super heroes did exist. Superman was not just a fictious man but he was real. Most of the time the heroes parade around on TV but Hawkman and Hawkgirl have not been seen in a long time. Little did Billy know its cause his Grandma had something to do with that. As Grandma Joy sat there excited for her grandson she knew immediately what this was. She did not know how to respond to him or reveal this secret that she held deep inside. Immediately Joy went inside her head in deep thought to a different time.

Comic Book

60 Years Ago

Joy was a young 20 year old just trying to figure out the world. She was walking steadily down a street on New York City when a man bumps into her.

Man:  I, uh, joy? Its me. Do you remember me.
Joy: No.. I am sorry I have never met you before.

The moment felt a little awkward. This man who was close to her age felt like he knew her. He tried to convince her that they were somehow meant to be and that she had to take the leap to believe him. Joy calculated her risks too much. She spent the majority of her life abandoned  by her mother and she grew up in foster care. Somehow she always felt out of place. The man kept telling her there are reasons why if only she would just open her heart to him.
Image result for Hawkman and Hawkgirl Sexy
Hawkman and Hawkgirl

Later that day she was buying a pretzel on the New York City streets when a Taxi driver started going crazy and almost ran into her. She closed her eyes tightly thinking this would be her last breath and the same man picked her up and saved her. Although it was not just any man. He had wings in his back! He said again, " Joy, do you believe me now." Instantly a part of her changed. It was Roy. Her beloved. The man that for centuries it was said they would meet over and over again. They were meant to be. Her life finally made since. He flew her up to the top of a building. She overlooked the city that she now realized she was meant to protect. She jumped off with Roy and her wings began to unfold from her back. All it took is her remembering this part of herself. Her ancestors all had to do the same thing. As soon as they remember who they are then they receive their powers and their love. From that day forward she knew life would never be the same.
Image result for hawkgirl and hawkman first meet
Hawkmand and Hawkgirl

Present Day

She looked at her grandson so full of hope and as she looked at the comic book that was created for her and her now fallen beloved. She smiled. For the secret she bared will never be spoken. Until maybe her next life.

Author's Note:
My story was inspired by multiple different things. I wanted my story to reflect a comic book about Hawkman and Hawkgirl that is part of DC Comics. The story about these two is they are from ancient Egypt. These two were created as protectors of a world. They are also deeply in love and every time they die or killed they are born into a new life. In this new life their mission is to remember who they are cause after they die they forget than after they remember one of them has to find the other and get them to do the same thing. I wanted to write a short story for this but I felt adding when they first met and when she remembered would be a good background story for my readers. Also because of that part of the story I was able to add some parts from the Indian comics I read. The story I got ideas from is called, "Karna: Brave, Generous, Ill-Fated Prince." Karna was also abandoned like my character by his mother and he had his own fate in the end like my character. They both have duties towards specific people. Also Karna had a set of skills and Hawkman and Hawkgirl did as well, they just could fly and he could not. Also with Karna's death and after life he is appreciated more so was my character. Joy spent much of her life protecting people but she did not get the recognition she wanted deep down until her grandson Billy showed her a comic book that was actually about her. I wanted my story to be simply yet still gather concepts from stories I read. This way my story can be somewhat of my own but still inspired by stories I enjoy and can somehow relate them together.

References:
Karna: Brave, Generous, Ill-Fated Prince

5 comments:

  1. I really liked reading your story for this week! I also wrote two of my stories based off of comic books so I was glad that someone else did as well. It would be interesting to have a comic book story inside of a comic book (even though I have no idea how to make a comic strip). This was a great story and I love the connection that you made between Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Excellent story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very well written Story! i enjoyed this and I think it was one of my favorites that I have read this semester! I'm so mad at myself for not writing a story about comic books this semester. You and a few other people have done so and I have loved all of them. You did a fantastic job of depicting Hawkman and hawkgirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anna/Annie! I really enjoyed your story. I like your style of storytelling of putting a few paragraphs then starting a new chapter. It fits very well and I it is creative. The comic images you used helped visualize how certain characters are suppose to look. Just like Greg, I am beating myself up for not reading any of the Indian comic books in this class. It was an online class so I never thought about it when I was on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna! Wow, this was such a different and unique story to read. I like the concept of a secret that is never told. This added a bit of mystery to this story. I won’t lie to you, I was so tempted to skip to end to see if she reveals the secret or not. Haha. I did not do that however. I enjoyed the pictures throughout the story as well. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie! I really enjoyed this story. Very good idea to relate such a well known topic, comics, to this story. This really helped capture the reader and help them relate to the story. I also really liked the secret that was never revealed. This kept me suspensful throughout the entire story. Overall I thought it turned out great, good job!

    ReplyDelete